VOCAL Midlothian’s Wee Breaks Funds are available to carers who care for someone living in Midlothian and are designed to give unpaid carers a break from their caring role.
You can apply for anything that would give you a break from your caring role. For example equipment to continue hobbies at home, overnight breaks away, gym membership or employing someone to spend time with the person you care for whilst you take time for yourself.
However, given the current restrictions in place, as a result of Covid-19, a lot of the traditional breaks may not be achievable at this time and carers might want to consider using grants creatively to support activities that can be undertaken in the home or, where available, the garden. For example, purchasing board games, gardening tools/equipment, Kindle readers or tablets, play/gaming equipment or subscriptions to TV/movie channels, magazines, online music, exercise, mindfulness or learning tuition. As always, we encourage you to be creative and come forward with ideas and suggestions for things that would give you a break in these difficult times.
Please check the eligibility criteria below before you apply:
- The person you care for lives in Midlothian and IS NOT in long term care
- Social Services cannot fund the break
- You can demonstrate that you are NOT able to fund the break yourself
- You are willing to provide a breakdown of household income/expenditure, if necessary
- The break will give YOU time off from your caring role as the main carer
- You have been referred to VOCAL by a practitioner and discussed how a break will benefit YOU