VOCAL Wee Breaks supports and encourages unpaid carers to take regular planned breaks from their caring role. Empowering carers to put themselves first, think about their needs and build up their own confidence and resilience.
8 in 10 carers report an impact to their physical and mental well-being since they began caring. Over 23% of carers provide upwards of 35 hours of care per week. Other impacts can include; financial hardship, social isolation, stress and sleep deprivation.
VOCAL Wee Breaks supports carers to manage and minimise these impacts with regular and planned breaks from caring. We offer guidance through each stage from identifying what a break looks like, removing barriers of guilt and promoting self-care to practical support with funding applications, organising activities and transport, emergency planning and replacement care.
Our service combines 1:1 carer support with information and advice online. We take a joined-up approach working in partnership with other practitioners to support carers.
VOCAL Wee Breaks is committed to enabling unpaid carers to be more confident, resilient and to have a life outside of and alongside caring. We support carers to:
- View their own caring role as a positive choice
- Stay informed about issues surrounding their caring role
- Gain confidence in their ability to shape services and support
- Improve confidence in managing their own caring role
- Improve their own physical and mental well-being
- Deal with changing relationships
- Access a social world outside their caring role
- Take control of their own financial and economic affairs
- Ensure their own personal safety