Short Breaks Funds available for carers in Edinburgh
THE SHORT BREAKS, TIME TO LIVE FUND, IS NOW CLOSED TO NEW APPLICATION.
VOCAL WILL UPDATE HERE IF AND WHEN FUTURE FUNDING IS AVAILABLE.
Time to Live
The Time to Live fund aims to help carers supporting someone over the age of 21 to take a break from their caring role and until July 2020 this has been opened up to carers who are also caring for someone under the age of 21 years.
The fund is intended to benefit carers and the people they care for living in Edinburgh to take a break away from daily routines and their caring role with applications reviewed fortnightly.
What can be funded?
At VOCAL we are committed to supporting carers achieve the kind of break that will be most beneficial to them as an individual.
We actively encourage carers to think outside the box and creatively, tailoring that perfect break away from caring which is flexible and has a lasting impact. Anything from sitter services, online classes, garden supplies and complementary therapies to hobby supplies, transport costs or an overnight break away.
The guidance notes offer more advise on what can be funded and we encourage you to review it before making your application. If however, you feel the item you wish to apply for might not meet this criteria, please contact the Carer Support Team to discuss.
Who can apply?
VOCAL are here to support as many carers as possible, please check you meet the criteria below before making an application:
- You provide unpaid care to a family member/ partner who has a long term condition, disability, physical/ mental health problem or addiction
- The cared for person must be aged 21 or over (until July 2020 open to carers caring for some under age of 21)
- You must live in Edinburgh and usually provide 20+ hours of practical or other support per week
- You can only apply to the fund once in any two year period
- Only one grant will be awarded per household/caring situation
- If applying for an overnight stay in purchased accommodation, the carer’s household must be in receipt of a means tested welfare benefit
The Short Breaks Funds are operated by Shared Care Scotland on behalf of the Scottish Government.